Monday, July 1, 2013

Wings of Joy - Splitcoaststampers Christmas Fan Club

Hi blogging friends From Millan.Net

I have some happy news!  I was asked to be a Guest Designer for the Splitcoaststampers July Fan Club Christmas Challenge!  WOW!   I nearly fell off my chair when Stacy (the Challenge Hostess) sent me a PM (private message on SCS) a few weeks ago and it took me about 2 seconds to reply "yes".  I feel so honoured to be asked.   The Fan Club Monthly Christmas Challenges only started this year and it is great to make a card each month to add to your Christmas Stash.  I only needed to make one card for the challenge, however, I decided to make 2 - one more layered and one clean and simple so that Stacy could choose which she preferred - and much to my surprise, Stacy chose both!  I do confess to being a little nervous when I was making my cards as I am a quiet and reserved person and never ooze with self-confidence.  Nevertheless, I thoroughly enjoyed making my cards as I adore making Christmas cards - my favourite type of card to make!

My first card uses one of my favourite Christmas sets by Taylored Expressions:  Wings of Joy.  I stamped the image onto watercolour paper and coloured it with a mix of Lyra and Faber-Castell watercolour pencils and a paintbrush.  I added some Cotton White Fun Flock mixed with fine glitter to the bird's hat using Tombow Monoglue, and some Kindyglitz Crystalina glitter glue to the bird's wing as well as the holly leaves and berries.


The gorgeous designer papers are by My Mind's Eye - 12 days of Christmas.  I love, love, LOVE the colours in these papers - so pretty. 

The poinsettia was made using the Layered Poinsettia dies by Spellbinders and my Big Shot.  I used the 2 smallest dies for my flower then punched 3 circles from green glitter cardstock using a Carl CP-1 3/16" circle punch.  The Spellbinder dies come with the berries dies but they are too big for when you just make a smaller flower.  I bent the petals (technically, I think they are leaves) up to give them some dimension and used dimensionals for putting the flower together.  Here is a close-up - and you can see the Fun Flock on the bird's hat a bit better too:



The bottom panel was punched using my old favourite punch - Fiskars Threading Water

The grosgrain ribbon is by Dovecraft and the button which has had some sewing thread sewn through the holes, was glued on using Crafter's Pick Incredibly Tacky glue.  I added Fray Stop to the cut edges to stop them from fraying.

The layers were trimmed using my Perfect Layers Tools.  The red cardstock layer on the card base was trimmed to 1/16" and the green cardstock has been trimmed to 1/8".

Finished size is 5-7/8" x 4-1/8" imperial or 150mm x 105mm if you are metric.

My 2nd card is very simple:


The dry embossing is a Sizzix Textured Impressions embossing folder which was layered onto gold glitter cardstock then onto burgundy cardstock.  Both layers were trimmed to 1/16" using my Perfect Layers Tools

I again used my Spellbinders Poinsettia dies but punched the berries using my 3/6" circle punch out of gold glitter cardstock - and popped up the petals with dimensionals.

Finished size is 5-3/4" x 4-1/2" imperial or 146mm x 115mm if you are metric.

That's it:  easy peasy!

If you are a Fan Club Member of Splitcoaststampers, come and join us for the challenge and get ahead with your Christmas cards to avoid the rush later in the year.  Hope to see you there!

Thanks for stopping by!

Jocelyn


Card Recipe - Card #1:

Stamps:  Taylored Expressions - Wings of Joy

Ink:  Versafine Onyx Black

Designer Paper:  My Mind's Eye - 12 days of Christmas 12" x 12"

Accessories:  Kindyglitz Crystalina glitter glue, 140lb watercolour paper, Lyra + Faber-Castell watercolour pencils, paintbrush, Big Shot, Spellbinder Rectangle Nestabilities + Scalloped Rectangle Nestabilities + Layered Poinsettia dies, Perfect Layers Tools, dimensionals, Dovecraft ribbon, Fray Stop, Stampendous Cotton White fun flock mixed with fine glitter, Tombow Monoglue, Crafter's Pick Incredibly Tacky glue, green button + matching green sewing thread, cardstock - Christmas red and green

Punches:  Carl CP-1 3/16" circle, Fiskars Threading Water


Card Recipe - Card #2:

Stamps, Ink and Designer paper:  None

Accessories:  Big Shot, Sizzix Textured Impressions Joy w/Frame embossing folder #657981, dimensionals, Spellbinder Layered Poinsettia dies, cardstock - white, burgundy, gold glitter


6 comments:

Helen said...

Hi Jocelyn! It's lovely to "meet" my fellow designer for the SCS July Christmas Challenge. I just love your two "Joy" cards - so different yet both so beautiful. BTW - love the name of your blog, I can really identify with your statement. ANYthing is better than ironing - but cardmaking tops the list!!

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

ah two amazing cards...

I love them both but think I like the second one the best, CAS..

- well done on being chosen your art is wonderful so you deserve it, well and truly dear Jobear! sending blog hugs, love Shaz in Oz.x

Welkom bij Happy Stamper said...

wooow love youre blog with beautifull cards.

hugs from the netherlands.

xxxx
angelique

Jules said...

Hi Jocelyn

Just having a lovely blogland catch up .. .. sorry I haven't visited for a while but the weddings have kept me "otherwise occupied" LOL!!!

You have been posting some lovely projects. I think you might love Penny Black stamps as much as I do!

Have a good weekend and thank you for your lovely comments on my blog.

Love Jules xx

Unknown said...

What fantastic news, and the cards are divine, of course she picked them both :)

Em xx

Anonymous said...

Hi Jocelyn,
Congrats on your guest design spot - very well deserved! Both of these cards are gorgeous - I really love the elegance of the second one.

Thanks for your lovely message - I really appreciate it.
xxxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...