Saturday, August 4, 2012

Some more of my decorative painting.......


Hi blogging friends Free Smiley Courtesy of www.millan.net

Just thought I would share an item that I painted at a Decorative Painting Workshop a while ago.  I grew up in the country so we had plenty of chickens and fresh eggs.  I have fond memories of collecting fresh eggs on the weekends (I was at school during the week of course) and our family would often sit down to a lunch of freshly cooked eggs, a crusty loaf of bread and homemade butter, and I would always have a glass of rich, creamy milk from our Jersey cow.  If you don't know about Jersey cows, they give milk that is super-rich and creamy (not so great for your cholesterol but we didn't know what cholesterol WAS when I was growing up LOL.....) - ahh, sweet memories of farm-life.

So, when I saw the chicken workshop advertised at my local Decorative Painting store, I thought it would be fun plus I rather liked the Trompe l'oeil effect of the chicken's head.  If you don't know what Trompe l'oeil means, you can read about HERE at Wikipedia; in essence (quoting directly from Wikipedia) - "It is an art technique involving extremely realistic imagery in order to create the optical illusion that the depicted objects exist in three dimensions."  Now my painting doesn't have a patch on other artists, but it was my first attempt and I was happy enough with my painting that I put it up on our kitchen wall.  We are always our own hardest critics, don't you think?  But as I get older, I tend to be more relaxed about these things and don't worry so much:  there are other more important things to worry about!


The item was painted onto Craftwood (medium density fibreboard) using JoSonja acrylic gouache.  Once the painting was left to cure (ie: dry completely) for several weeks, the painting was covered with water-based matt varnish to protect it. 

Thanks so much for stopping by Free Smiley Courtesy of www.millan.net  

Jocelyn

10 comments:

Robyn said...

Looks a lot like a chicken to me! You are an amazingly talented woman!

Jackie said...

This is absolutely brilliant, a fantastic effect :o)
Jackie xx

Anita said...

It looks fabulous Jocelyn! I've been a decorative painter for 20+ years but haven't picked up a paintbrush in a very long time. I think you've pushed me to try my hand at it again ;)

Elizabeth Allan said...

Amazing Jocelyn---the definition you achieved with just a few colors is tremendous!

ShazInOzCardsCalligraphy said...

hi there Jobear ah do love this very very much the trick of the eye or Tromp de L'oeil is very appealing... love it and think you are really too hard on the critical eye of things ..thanks for sharing, Shaz.xx

Denise Marzec said...

Oh how COOOOOL!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, you are so talented, this is brilliant!

Anonymous said...

Oh my word, this is amazing!!! You are so clever!
xx

cparsons said...

It's just beautiful!!! You've given it such depth and the shading is perfect.

Anne said...

This is stunning! First attempt? Naaaaah! Gorgeous work, love it! You should be proud of your work! You are a blessing to one and all.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...